Best OBD2 scanner 2016 to choose. Using an automotive scan tool is similar to having a mini service station right on board of a car. If you’re searching for a decent electric device to monitor all car issues and keep control of a technical condition of your vehicle, you’ve come to the right page. In our OBD2 scanner review, we’ve selected some of the most popular onboard diagnostic devices that work on all domestic and foreign vehicles, including trucks and SUV, and won’t cost you a fortune.
This is top 5 best obd2 scanner for choose
What Is OBD2 scanner
OBD2 auto scanner is a lightweight, compact size and comparatively inexpensive auto diagnostic tool with a built-in software, designed to continuously control a vehicle and inform his owner about all malfunctions in a real-time mode. This is a perfect device for both, professional and custom diagnostic in the service stations. Most customers give preference to using OBD2 Scanners over other similar tools due to their price, compact size and simplicity of use.
Portable OBD2 Scanners are commonly used for diagnostics of electronic engine management systems and other systems found in most modern cars. As they don’t require connection to a PC, they are handy to keep in a glove compartment and easily accessible to run a quick scan of a vehicle. The minor flaw of a thing is a limited functional. It’s only aimed to read and stream error codes on a display. A diagnostic scanner with a connection to PC may be a more beneficial purchase in this sense. Within the same price range, it offers much more functionality. On using a stationary PC or laptop, it’d be possible to access way more programming capabilities of such scanner.
What To Look For
The first thing to consider when searching through a plethora of OBD2 Scanners available is its Diagnostic Features. This is prime information that is gonna tell you whether (or not) a certain device will go with your car make. The cars manufactured before 1996 will not be compatible with any of the scanners on the market for the reason they’re not equipped with an OBD2 port, so, be aware. All scanners provide some built-in programming diagnostic software or a CD so a user doesn’t need to buy any special hardware. Diagnostic features vary a lot depending on the model of a device and a manufacturer (though, the plan is to extend functionality for more vehicles). However, there are certain things that are common for all – most OBD2 Scanners are capable of updating their software and extending functional with micro-programs via the Internet and PC. These programs are usually easily found on the official websites of manufacturers and available for free download.
In order to update the software or stream data on a display, a scanner should be connected to the storage source via USB, Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. This is where you may want to consider available Connection Options of a chosen model and make sure that it will work for you as expected. Portable scanners are usually charged either via a battery or onboard power. Which one to choose will depend on what features you’d like your scanner provide. For example, if a scanner supports printouts, it may be a good idea to buy a battery-operated scanner. When compared to an onboard analog, it will provide an owner with more mobility options so that he can disconnect it and print out all the needed information on a car in any copy center.
The information on a car can be streamed right on a display of a scanner, smartphone or PC, depending on what option is supported by a device. Consider Data to Display feature and check what kind of information is gonna be displayed on your device – a short error code or a code with a definition.
Best obd2 scanner
Why should buy this scan tool?
Several benefits are there, however the following are notable;
- Guaranteed technical tips– the fix assist technicians and the ASE technical teams will be handy with the use of the INNOVA 3100 Diagnostic Scan Tool. This is traditional practice which is bound to ease the process through which motor vehicle repair request solutions are sorted out.
- Cost effectiveness and efficiency– the cost of the INNOVA 3100 Diagnostic Scan Tool if compared with others within the same brand is friendlier to the pocket. However, the efficient manner in which it is set up to relay the OBD2 codes is what makes it stand out, price notwithstanding.
Proficiency: You have an amazing scope of data reading and control at hand, enabling you to sit back on your chair and analyze the data on your smartphone.
Budget efficiency: At first, the price tag might cause a butterfly inside you. But if you look at the features as an expert, you soon realize that it’s really a bargain. Before any other consideration just think of the saving you make, where the BlueDriver does the diagnosis for you instead of a skilled mechanic, and the bill which would follow. To be able to use, android, iPhone and iPad apps to analyze the data of an OBDII scanner is an astonishing technical achievement.
Who needs to buy?
- Enthusiastic do-it-yourself car owners who want to take the wrench in to their own hands
- Professional mechanics
- Technicians working in licensed garages required to do up to minute repair diagnosis
- Garage Managers who must check and control tens of High-Techautomobiles lined up to be tuned up.
- Car owners who live or travel to areas where emission checks are required. BlueDriver is able to show you if you pass the emission test.
- BlueDriver works for all car models built from 1996 onwards. Especially for newer cars which have a sophisticated drive systems installed.
What to Like Actron CP9580A Enhanced AutoScanner Plus
Advanced Code Lookup Library: Probably the most useful feature on the Actron CP9580A Enhanced is the helpful lookup library that takes reading and interpreting codes to a new level. Not only will the scan tool give you the code and its definition, it will also deliver information related to potential solutions. The unit is actually programmed to give the top reported fixes that have been used in the past. While it won’t give you a guaranteed solution, it will point you in the right direction. This feature saves time and gives you greater confidence when attempting to fix your vehicle.
ABS Codes Available: The Actron CP9580A Enhanced doesn’t just check error codes for your Check Engine light, it can also help you when the ABS (Anti-Lock Brake System) light comes on. While most codes readers won’t be able to perform this function, the CP9580A Enhanced can help you avoid costly diagnostic bills related to the ABS light. Just make sure the device is compatible with your car. Out of the box, the ABS function only works on most 1996 through 2010 GM, Ford and Chrysler vehicles and 1996 through 2009 Toyota, Honda, Hyundai and Nissan vehicles.
What Not to Like Actron CP9580A Enhanced AutoScanner Plus
Not all Features Work on All Cars: Car technology is always evolving to meet the needs of safety regulations, emissions laws, and consumer demand. Because of these constant changes, scan tools can have difficulty keeping up, and not all scan tools are ready to work on all vehicles. If you plan to use more advanced features like the ABS function, you may want to do some thorough research to make sure the tool is compatible with your vehicle. Updates are available, but some users have reported difficulty downloading information from manufacturer’s websites. Again, do your research so you know what you’re getting into.
Are Extra Features Worth The Price? This is really a case-by-case issue, but you’ll want to ask yourself if having all those extra features is worth the price of the scan tool. At a price around $200, the Actron CP9580A Enhanced is certainly not the cheapest options. So be honest with yourself – will you ever use the printable feature? Will you ever record and replay data? Will you take the time to learn how to use the advanced functions properly? If not, then you could probably settle for a basic code reader and pay around $50.
Final Thoughts on the CP9580A
The Actron CP9580A Enhanced is a great tool for car enthusiasts who want an advanced scan tool that has multiple features and an easy-to-use format. While it may be a little pricier than the basic units, the wealth of options make it a solid choice for many garages.
The advanced code library makes diagnosing and problem solving quick and convenient, while the myriad of uses make Actron CP9580A Enhanced one of the most versatile scan tools available. So if you need a scan tool that has multiple features, and you’re willing to pay a little more to get them, then you should definitely consider purchasing this model.
Why should buy INNOVA 3160 Diagnostic Scan Tool ?
Using the INNOVA 3160 Diagnostic Scan Tool is associated with the following benefits both for the owners and the technicians;
- Efficiency- with the enabled accessories which accompany this scan tool, one need no hustle when getting the data. By just correctly fitting the scan machine, the live data feed is enough to eliminate any worries.
- Wide user scope– covering several vehicle models ranging from both the new OBD2 types and the older versions of the OBD1, you are likely to get served with this.
If you’re looking for an advanced scan tool that can perform a wide range of functions, and you don’t mind paying more for all the extra modes, then the Innova 3160 is the right choice for you. At a price generally ranging from $200 to $250, it’s certainly not the cheapest model on the market, but does have numerous features and accessories to justify the price.
There are, however, a few disadvantages that may eliminate the Innova 3160 from your scan tool search, so let’s take a look and see if it’s right for you…
Car service repair shops use code readers to diagnose problems in the vehicle’s computer system. Price of that tools almost about thousands dollars, but there are products like the Innova 3150 that are oriented towards the average consumer to use at home.
The product itself will be useful mainly for those car owners that like to work on their own cars instead of taking them to a repair shop but fail to do so due to the lack of such of device that can read the error and pin point the problem.
I good auto code scanner such as the Innova 3150 will give you the ability to find any faults in your on-board computer system, and also find the correct solution for each different problem. They are massive time savers, and will also save you a lot of money too.
The model, can “check engine” light warnings for most cars and SUVs manufactured after 1996. Their ABS an SRS reader can only check GM, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda and Ford vehicles that were manufactured after 1996 as well.
Unfortunately, owners that have a different brand will have trouble using it. Then again, most code readers from this price range read the error codes only for the above mentioned manufacturers.
Ease of use
The device itself is fairly intuitive to use even without a manual. It only has a couple of navigation buttons and four buttons for code reading. In the worst case scenario, the manual can be use as it will not take more than a few minutes to get the hand of it.
Display and readings
Innova used a monochrome blue display for the device. It might not be a high resolution display but it can deliver plenty of information without having to scroll down for a full reading. The upper side of the screen shows only icons for the motor status while the middle and bottom show the error code and the description of the problem or possible fix.
The Innova 3150 can be connected directly to a PC via a mini USB cable. In the package a software CD can be found that contains the installation driver and desktop tools. Additionally, the device comes with a 16 pin cable that can be used to read ABS and SRS codes. The PC connection cable will be required for software updates but new ones are not released very often.
Best OBD2 scanner for money
Why should buy MaxiScan MS300
Using the Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool, the user is bound to accrue the following beneficial effects;
Cost effectiveness– considering the several features and the user interfaces the tool has, it is unbelievable how affordable Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles is. It is even lower on some of the shops which sell it at quite lucrative prices which makes it look like it is for free.
Wide usage– the OBD scan given its high affinity to most cars and the support for several protocols, it is amazingly beneficial to any user. With this tool, you will b e relieved of having to purchase other scan tools available in the market.
The several models and brands of OBD scan tools present the users with diverse choices when it comes to the selection of the tools. The basic requirement is to be able to know your car and the tool which is compatible with it. If you have a tool like the Autel Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles Diagnostic Scan Tool which covers a wide range of cars, then you are good to go.
Note: The Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool is not a Bluetooth scanner, but is included in the list due to customers’ overwhelming support.
Why should buy BAFX OBD2 scan tool?
With the several array of unique characteristics, the scan tool is likely to exhibit the following benefits;
- Cost effective- none of OBD2 scanner I have encountered in my long usage has been this cheap. This is in spite of the wide user functional abilities it has. Unlike most of its competitors, the BAFX OBD2 scan tool offers money’s worth of services at an amazingly lower price.
- Reliability– I can tell you for sure that if you are in the United States, then you can rely on this OBD2 scan tool to work on your car. It doesn’t matter the brand. In this regard, the scan tool has alleviated a lot of suffering of motorists who do not even have an iota of hope of finding a compatible OBD2 scan tool. Moreover, its wide coding is surely able to deliver just what you need, a clean scan for your car.
3. ScanTool 425801 OBD Adapter/Diagnostic Scanner
It is noted that the following benefits will accrue if ScanTool 425801 OBDLink SX USB: OBD Adapter/Diagnostic Scanner for Windows is put to use;
- Economic benefits– with its feature which updates and teaches the driver on fuel saving mechanisms, it is likely that spending on fuel will be reduced. The trickle down effects of such a move will; save the economy lots of money. In addition, its wide compatibility does not allow one to source for many OBD2 scan machines.
- Convenience – the OBD2 scan tool is enabled with several features which are known to conveniently and relay the coded data. For instance, the live data feed system give real-time updates, while the screen display gives the technician tips on which part to handle.
This is an affordable and easy-to-use OBD2 diagnostic scanner that works on all models and makes of car, that are newer 1996 year of issue. With Autel AutoLink AL319, you wouldn’t need to go through a guesswork and work out what part of the whole system has gone out of order. It quickly detects all malfunctions, notifies a user about error codes by displaying a message on a screen and explains the issues so that it’s not necessarily to look up online for further explanation. Autel AutoLink AL319 will assist users in verifying road tests, solving basic engine problems, checking the emission monitor status, resetting monitors, displaying and clearing error codes and viewing freeze frame data.
When you are looking for a versatile, affordable scan tool that has plenty of options and features, you may want to consider the Autel AL519. This tool brings plenty of features and technology to your garage, and has a system that allows for easy navigation and access.
While the Autel AL519 has many features and modes, there are a couple of things missing from the tool that may make you hesitate.
So is the Autel AL519 right for you? Let’s take a look and see…
The Autel AL519 usually costs around $80 to $120, depending on where you are purchasing the unit and whether you’re buying new or used. This is the medium price range for scan tools. There are basic units for less than $50 and advanced tools that cost upwards of $300. Of course, if you’re a trained technician, you can find scan tools for $3,000 or more, but for most people, the Autel AL519 is priced around the middle.
Table of content
Top 5 best obd2 scanner
- INNOVA 3100 Diagnostic ScanTool/Code Reader ( Check Price on Amazon)
- BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool (Check Price on Amazon)
Actron CP9580A Enhanced AutoScanner Plus (Check Price on Amazon)
- INNOVA 3160 Diagnostic Scan Tool (Check Price on Amazon)
- Innova 3150 Professional CanOBD2 Diagnostic Code Scanner (Check Price on Amazon)
Top 5 Best obd2 scanner for money
- Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic (Check Price on Amazon)
- BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII (Check Price on Amazon)
- ScanTool 425801 OBD Adapter/Diagnostic Scanner (Check Price on Amazon)
- Autel AutoLink AL319 OBD II & CAN Scan Tool (Check Price on Amazon)
- Autel AL519 Color Screen OBDII/CAN Scan Tool (Check Price on Amazon)